Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dark Chocolate Rolled Fondant



DARK CHOCOLATE ROLLED FONDANT

Ingredients:
9 oz. Dark Chocolate
1 Tbsp. butter
7tbsp light corn syrup
Water
Cocoa Powder for Dusting

Tools:
Pot
Heatproof bowl
Spoon
Plastic Wrap

Steps:

  1. Set heatproof bowl over pan of water with 9 oz dark chocolate
  2. Bring water to boil, stirring chocolate
  3. --Be sure not to allow any water into chocolate, or the chocolate will become ruined
  4. Once chocolate has melted, add butter
  5. Remove bowl from pot
  6. Stir in Corn Syrup
  7. Cover in plastic wrap 4 hours or overnight DO NOT REFRIGERATE!!!!
  8. Knead chocolate mixture to soften
  9. Knead into rolled fondant until soft and pliable
  10. Either wrap in plastic and refrigerate, or continue to step 11.
  11. Dust flat surface with cocoa powder (to avoid white marks on chocolate fondant)
  12. Roll Fondant 
  13. Lay over frosted cake
  14. Eat your Cake already

I wanted to make a Swedish Princestarta, which requires white chocolate fondant.  Martha Stewart's website seemed to have the only useable rolled white chocolate fondant recipe, which I obviously altered to include NO cocoa butter. In my mind, if I have to go somewhere special to buy the ingredient, it probably won't happen.  Martha Stewart's recipes seem to be a bit complicated for my taste anyhow.  I often tone them down. 
Anyway, I prefer dark chocolate to white chocolate, so when I bought white chocolate to make the fondant, I wondered how dark chocolate as a fondant would be, and IT WAS FREAKING DELICIOUS. This makes a cake look so rich, and quite frankly it tastes that way too.
Obviously, the only difference between this and my white chocolate fondant was the kind of chocolate I melted.

DO NOT refrigerate this until you've combined the chocolate and the rolled fondant, or it's stuck in the bowl for eternity.



No comments:

Post a Comment